I put up a water mister in my backyard a couple days ago. Today, the Cedar Waxwings found it. They apparently love to play in spraying water. A flock of 10 spent about 30 minutes playing in it right after lunch. They are beautiful birds and a lot of fun to watch. I hope they come back regularly. The mister is about 12 feet up in a medium-sized Oak tree. I have it on a timer that turns it on four times a day for 90 minutes each time.
It looks as if the House Sparrows have taken over the birdhouses that were occupied by a pair of Carolina Chickadees and a pair of Carolina Wrens. I guess the sparrows chase the other birds away. The Chickadees are still eating at our feeders, so they must not have moved too far away. Maybe they will pick another one of my houses.
We have an American Robin hanging out in our backyard. Normally, we seldom have an robins in the back because it is a forest. For some reason, this one bird, probably a juvenile, has been there all day for the past four days. I guess he doesn’t mind the trees.
We’ve had a lot of woodpeckers visiting today. I saw a pair of Red-bellied along with a Hairy and many Downy.